Thursday, October 19, 2006

Valley of the Mist

Don't believe everything you read or see. I had heard that Guilian and the Li River were the prettiest city and river in the world. I even saw enough pictures that I would believe it too. We flew into Guilian after dark and so the next morning I opened up my drapes and this is what we saw. People actually live in these apartments.
We woke up to fog, fog, and more fog on the river. Supposedly photographers come into the area just to take those fabulous photos and they end up sitting in their hotel for months just for that bright blue ski photo taking day.
China has vendors everywhere, who thought we would have been away from them on a river.
My friend Bob had to buy a photo book of the Li River so he could actually see what the mountains looked like that he was floating past.
During our float they served us an excellent lunch and they offered this very fine wine made out of snake. If you click on it you might see the snake in there. I chose not to buy it that day. I had enough of the sea horse wine in Xian.







After getting off of the river, we went up to the Reed Flute caves. My friend Pam didn't feel so good and was really tired, so we paid for two guys to haul her up these very steep stairs to the caves. Can you see the anguish on her face.
That night after a very long day John asked if some of us wanted to go to dinner with him since this would be his last night with us. We had several gourmet dishes and a couple of bottles of wine. John asked how much he thought the check would be. I said in the U.S. it would be around $400. It was only $4o Yuan. Loved it.
After dinner we went for a drive to this park which had these very modern pagodas.

No comments:

Post a Comment