Monday, September 13, 2010

IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANYMORE GRANDER

Fourth day was an adventurous day on the road to the Grand Canyon. We had a very lazy morning and headed out early afternoon so that the light on the canyon would be the best for picture taking. We had planned on a picnic and so we immediately headed for the North Rim Lodge patio. We confiscated most of the tables and chairs so we could look out over the canyon while eating our dinner. It was beautiful. I highly recommend it.




After dinner a few of us headed on a small hike over the top of a peninsula. I intentionally went ahead of Gary so he wouldn't try to scare me, once on the hike there were several spots where there was no railing and both sides of the trail had huge cliffs on both sides. Wonda and I were extremely scared, we knew the canyon was going to suck us in. Obviously we survived or I wouldn't be writing this, but it was pretty dang scary.


On the way home we had another scare of a different kind. Gary wanted to stop at a liquor store in Arizona so we could pick up the liquor for my daughter's wedding that we had in the near future. I argued no because we didn't have enough room in the vehicles to take it home. But we did stop at this place that looked like a rundown 7-11 store. When we entered, the stench was so strong I almost threw up and I can handle most smells so that was pretty bad. When I looked around I realized this was a hoarder's paradise. The dogs in the store weren't mean, but I could tell that the owner obviously had not cleaned up around them in a long while. My friend made note to me that the old lady in the corner looked a little dead herself. It took me less than a minute to realize this was a place out of some bad horror film and we should leave immediately, especially when I saw the Chucky in the window. Was I relieved when we all finally came out of the store and no one was following us with a shotgun. I could see Utah just down the street, and I knew we were so close to home and so far away in this place of horrors. I will say the next day I approached a lady at the gas station about referring to this place and she said "the lady is so nice, it is so sad she let the place go." That made me feel better there were no small children strung up somewhere. Thank goodness to leave Arizona. I chose not to take a picture of the store, because it wouldn't have done it justice.


Bye Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment