Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baby Girl - Beautiful Bride

I know this is a travel blog, but sometimes you have to break your own rules, maybe because you want to show off the ones you love.
Randi, my daughter and fiance, Brian decided to get married within a three week period. I knew I had to have faith that everything would work out and those things that didn't, we would just ignore.
Since I had never been to the place they wanted to get married at, Gig Harbor, Washington, I also wanted to enjoy the area and the place like all my travels take me to. So we planned on going in a few days early to hopefully help with the wedding.
WAITING AT THE AIRPORT: DO YOU THINK SHE IS NERVOUS

Randi wanted to have the wedding where Brian and his family was from, which meant in so many words, "she had no control of it." Since she had a few brief weeks with Brian's mom and I had never met her, we had to hopefully not expect the worst and hope for the best. Believe me, we couldn't have asked for much more than what they had done. With a few hiccups, the wedding went off beautifully. I will ease into the details later, but first about Gig Harbor.
I was corrected that Gig Harbor is not on an island but is on a peninsula in the narrows of Puget Sound. You get there either by ferry or by bridge. Since Brian had his ticket and Randi and I were flying stand bye, we weren't sure if we would be on the same flight as Brian. Luckily we did get on, and then when we arrived we waited for the shuttle that takes you right downtown Gig Harbor for $14/pers., where we picked up a car and headed off to the see the fam.
The Pacific Northwest is a very luscious area, with a lot of greenery and gorgeous flowers and the family's home was exactly that. I thought of Brian growing up in the woods around his family's house and thought this is why he is a hiking, wandering gypsy, his mom probably thought how safe for her children to play all day and enjoy nature.
When they say you don't just marry the man, but the family, the family was just as kind and sweet as Brian is. They made us both feel right at home.
NICE SURPRISES FROM THE FAMILY

We then headed over to Fox Island. Fox Island is an island, [not a peninsula, that definition was for us landlocked people to know,] that is attached to the peninsula by a bridge. Brian's grandmother lives there and has lived there for quite sometime. She and her husband, Bud, were as welcoming as the rest of the family. Driving over there, the area is absolutely gorgeous, especially from a person from Utah.
GORGEOUS

Randi had told me that the area was quite tiny and so small, what a surprise when I realized the traffic and the area was a lot larger than I expected. Brian had explained that until about 10 years ago they only had a two lane bridge coming from Tacoma and then they rebuilt the bridge to a six lane bridge which immediately enhanced the building and increased the property and taxes. Oh well, you build it, they will come.
THE DOCK WHERE THE HAPPY COUPLE ARE GETTING MARRIED ON

After checking out the area where the wedding was going to be at, Randi and I were tired and Brian wanted to play with his nieces and visit with his family so off we went to the house that I rented. The house was off of East Bay Drive and on Sullivan Road. It was an older home that they had renovated. It was perfect, right on the water with again with the word, "gorgeous" views.

Randi and I settled in and died of exhaustion for a nap. After we had to find food. One thing about renting a house, you must supply it for all of those hungry stomachs that are going to show up sooner or later. So we used Randi's GPS to find historic Gig Harbor. We stopped at Anthony's for dinner and devoured everything put in front of us. It was fun just sitting out on the dock and watch the yachts come in and go out.


Then off to the grocery store for food. It was a very fun, but exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment