Saturday, April 26, 2008

I've been freezing on the railroad, all the live long day

Lee thought it would be fun to take one of the oldest and narrow rail trains still operating. “Not quite” Let’s just say it would have been fun if hadn’t been so D__N cold. Because we hadn’t called ahead we were put in the open air car. What were we thinking. I do have to admit the scenery was beautiful and of course the company, no I am not even going to say the company was good enough to endure that cold.





Off to definitely warmer places, a WINERY. Now truly how can you go wrong in a winery. This winery wasn’t just any ordinary winery, it was a winery that made themselves famous on old fashion favorites with the areas agriculture. Dandelion and strawberry wine, who could resist.



I love my country and I love government workers, but what was this guy thinking. We got to Jewel cave. Now mind you I once was going to be a forest ranger, so I love them. So I say to the forest ranger for the benefit of my somewhat ill friend, “once we are inside how hard is this in walking through the caves.” He says, “after the first few stairs it is not too bad.” I know the government needs our money, but just don’t buy in to it, just say no. Maybe if you are healthy and young. By the time we got to the 5th set of stairs, 100 stairs a set, I started screaming in the cave for not the benefit of my friend, but for me. If you can look past that, it was an absolutely beautiful cave. Once we got our breath I did appreciate going.




We wound through the Black Hills until we got to Badger Clark's Home. We couldn't enter into it because it was "not quite" open for the season. So we peaked in the windows.


Keystone. Doesn’t all old western movies have certain towns in them, “we are going into Keystone.” With all the commercial stores and restaurants it’s hard to imagine this town being a small western town at one time. We enjoyed getting our shopping fix.


I found a replacement for the bunking bronc that I missed in Wall Drug.

Before returning back to our hotel we stopped at Mt. Rushmore for their nightly lighting ceremony. The weather had turned a little warmer and so we really enjoyed it.






No comments:

Post a Comment